Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vegan {left-over-whatever's-in-the-cupboard} Pumpkin cookies...

(**forewarning: lack of pics due to spontaneous, thoughtless baking adventure...sorry!)


After making the Pumpkin Choc. Chip Muffins, I had leftover pumpkin puree. So, I 've been trying to figure out what I wanted to make with it. 
However, I haven't gone grocery shopping... so my cupboards were seeming a little bare. But instead of saying "Oh well, I'll wait to create a yummy treat after I go shopping", my compulsive nature took over and I had to bake something. 
So I did what any normal person would do... challenged myself to come up with a new recipe with all the leftover ingredients I had on hand. That's completely normal... right?

After pulling several ingredients out, I settled on the idea of healthy pumpkin breakfast cookies. I've seen tons of "breakfast cookies" on Pinterest and figured I could conjure some healthy, yummy treat.

(and I tried to remain conscience of the measurements and ingredients so I could share with you lovelies!)



Now, mind you.... these are not actual cookies. They have a completely different texture, and are more... ummm... chewy, soft, texture-y. I'm not 100% sure how to describe them, but they are healthy and are different. But I liked them, and my co-workers ate them right up even though I was terrified they would hate them... just, don't expect sweet or cookie-like texture. 

Enough pre-warnings.

Here's the rough (but tested) recipe:
Preheat oven to 350°

Dry Ingredients in large bowl:
1 cup Whole Wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand, my personal fav)
1/2 cup rolled oats 
1/4 cup steel cut oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon Chia seeds
dash of salt

Wet Ingredients in separate bowl:
14 oz. pumpkin puree
1/4 or 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (I eyeballed it, but start with 1/4, and after mixing wet and dry, if its too dry, add 1 tablespoon more)
10 drops liquid Vanilla Stevia
1/4 cup oil (your choice)
1 tablespoon organic honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine each mixture in their bowls. Add pumpkin mixture to dry mixture, mix until all the flour is completely incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips (I eyeballed this part too... sorry!). Use an ice cream scoop to get even cookies. You'll have to use your fingers to help get the mix out of the scoop if it doesn't have that swiveling thingy (yes, I said "thingy") that pushes ice cream out... I put my cookies on stoneware, so I didn't need parchment or veg spray. If using metal baking pans, use parchment, silicone or veg spray. I got about 12 cookies per sheet. Press the dough balls down into patty shape with a fork since they don't spread. Bake in oven for 30 minutes - they should be golden brown. Pull out, and let cool on pan. After 5-8 mins, transfer to cooling rack. I put mine in a container to use the next day, and the trapped moisture made the cookies a little more soft and chewy. 
Have it in the morning with a yummy cup of coffee... it's like a healthy dessert for breakfast. No added sugar, dairy, or junk. It's healthy and tasty (different if you're not used to healthy... but still tasty); the chocolate chips enhance the flavor and make up for lack of sugar. 

Try them, and let me know what you think. Hate 'em, love 'em, meh about 'em... let me know... I won't be offended. I love honest opinions!

.xoxo.
kylie rae

p.s. Today's my birthday (10.3.87 [well... I have about 45 mins left of my bday...])!! I turned 1/4 of a century today! Yikes! Really excited to see what this year holds :D

No comments:

Post a Comment